Soni Motors Thailand ::  

Phone/WhatsApp/Viber/LINE: Jim: +66-89-106-5701 :: Sam: +66-86-677-5701

Thailand, Dubai, Australia and UK's Top Exporter of new used Diesel 4x4 pickup, cars, SUV. Facebook Fan Page


Imports to the United Kingdom

Thailand has emerged as the Detroit of the East. Cars and pick up trucks manufactured by Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chevrolet and Isuzu have Japanese quality with Thailand prices. Since Thailand is a Right Hand Drive country like UK, it makes eminent sense to import these high quality inexpensive vehicles into United Kingdom to save money on these excellent vehicles. Soni Motors Thailand is Thailand's largest auto exporter to the UK and Ireland and we would be glad to provide your next vehicle. Please email us today at to buy your own Toyota Hilux Revo Thailand Exporter, Toyota Hilux Revo Rocco Thailand Export, Toyota Hilux Vigo- world's largest selling diesel pickup from world's largest exporter of diesel pickups and SUVs as Toyota Hilux Revo Thailand Exporter, Toyota Hilux Revo Rocco Thailand Export, Toyota Hilux Vigo, Toyota Fortuner and Mitsubishi L200 Triton. Click here for more information on importing to UK.

Importing vehicles can sometimes be a risky proposition, it is therefore important to find a qualified and honest partner on the other end. Our customers in UK have discovered that you cannot go wrong with Soni Motors. We offer the best prices in town and we neither make false promises nor engage in any dishonest practices. There are exporting vendors who are fly-by-night operations with a small office that can be closed at any time, most are completely devoid of automotive experience and can play loose with your money. They are not shy about making false promises of quick delivery but once the money is in, one can do nothing but wait and hear an interminable list of excuses while they play with your money to their benefit.

Soni Motors is certainly no fly by night operations. The Quraishi Family been in automotive business for over 100 years and has a spotless record of honesty, quality and customer service to maintain (M. A. Quraishi was the first Asian to import his own automobile in 1905 and established British Asia's very first automobile dealership in 1911. We sell hundreds of automobiles a month and are acclaimed worldwide for our legendary customer service and below market prices. We tell you all our charges upfront and don't play games with you by offering an extremely low prices upfront and then once you are bound, demand more money to complete the transaction or worse pass demo model as new vehicles. With us, what you see is what you get and you always get fresh stock. Try us to find why Soni Motors has emerged as Thailand's largest automotive exporter.

We can export all makes of right hand drive trucks and cars to UK at the cheapest price in town. Whether you require a  brand new vehicle or a quality pre-owned auto, you need go no further. Feel free to leverage Soni Motors 70 years of automotive experience for your benefit. We are currently exporting into five continents and are known for our top selection, unbeatable prices and unmatched reliability.

Our UK bound vehicles are furnished with heaters and we can install quality accessories as canopies, roof rack, side steps, rear bumper, rear bed liner and leather seats upon request. Please see a list of our quality accessories at Our site lists accessories made by United States Carryboy's reliable accessories but we can also offer you cheaper version made by top Thai vendors.

Please note that the following information is based on information gleaned from web sources and from our customers experiences. Please do your own investigation before taking a step. The following is only for informational purposes. 

Importing Process

It takes us three to five working days to get your new vehicle shipment ready once your money has reached our account. While we wait for deregistration process, we get all the accessories installed and reserve a container on the ship heading to your port. As soon as deregistration occurs, we secure it into a container and send it your way. When it arrives at a port close to your home, you pay your dues and get the vehicle released. You then drive it to a ESVA Center to get it compliant, they make your vehicle compliant and arrange the test, once it has passed the test you pay the agreed upon fees and get vehicle released. You get your insurance on the phone and then drive it to the registration office. Once it is registered, you drive your prized possession with pride and satisfaction.

Here are the steps:-

You discuss and submit details of your chosen vehicle with Sam or a Soni Account Executive

If you picked a used vehicle, Soni Account Executive sends you an informal Performa Invoice and mounts a search to find a vehicle that meets your specifications. If it is a brand new vehicle, we already have in stock

Once  a suitable car is found we contact you right away with vehicle's specs and details and send you an official Performa Invoice with bank information and chassis number and engine number and you confirm your decision to buy the vehicle

You send 100% of agreed upon amount plus bank fees on both ends by Telegraphic Transfer (TT). You sign and fax back the Sales Agreement and General Terms and Conditions

We buy the vehicle, acquire a temporary license plate and take it through the mandatory registration/deregistration process which takes 3-8 working days. Meanwhile we install accessories you have ordered

Car is placed securely in a container and is placed in the next ship heading your way. Ratt and her staff has already organised all essential paperwork so car can be exported without a hitch on our end

We send you B/L via mail or courier (your choice but we recommend courier)

Shipping company notifies you of your car's arrival. You pay shipping (if not paid in advance), import duty, VAT and other customs charges and retrieve your vehicle

You take your prized possession to nearest ESVA workshop and pay for agreed upon fees when picking up your vehicle

You get the vehicle insured and registered

You drive your inexpensive yet high quality Thailand-made vehicle with pride and make everyone in the block jealous!

You become Soni Motor's Lifelong Customer and recommend us to your family, friends and customers and the above cycle begins again


We prefer shipping our vehicles in containers as cars and trucks arrive safely on the other end but upon customer request, we are able to ship vehicles via roll on roll off transport ships (Ro-Ros) as well. Please see our export page for relative disadvantages of Ro-Ro vs. container transport. Ro-Ro vessels do not sail from Bangkok directly but come from China. The Ro-Ro boat will stop in Bangkok every six weeks but only if there are any spaces left. Container ships, on the other hand, leave for the UK 2 times a week and sail to many destinations.

A ship will often take a month to reach a UK port - give and take a few days. Once you are notified of its arrival, you have to deal with shipping company's receiving agent who can clear your car for around £50.

Customs Duty and VAT

Once your car reaches the UK, it must be cleared, complied and registered before it is ready to be driven. Both import duty and VAT must be paid at the point of import. Import duty is 10% and VAT is 17.5%. Please note that the customs duty of 10% is charged on the 'landed value' of the vehicle. This means what you paid (supported by Soni Motors' purchase invoice), plus the shipping costs including insurance to the point of entry to the EC. And they will ask for evidence so please save your receipts. The VAT is paid not only on the price of car and shipping costs but also on the import duty. Not fair, I know but what can you do.

  Costs     Tax
Car Purchase price: £10,000  
Shipping and insurance costs to the UK, say: £1,500  
Total value for Import Duty: £11,500  
Import Duty payable at say 10% on £11,500: £1,150 £1,150
Base value for Value Added Tax (VAT): £12,650  
VAT on £12,650 @ 17.5%: £2,214 £2,214
  £14,864 £2,214

The only way you can get out of paying the tax levy  is if you have owned the car for more than 6 months in the country of your import and if you intend to keep it for your own use for at least a year after entering UK. It is not enough to claim that you have lived in a foreign country, you must not only prove that you have lived in the country of your import for those 6 months too but also prove that the car was driven, licensed and insured during that time by you.

It is better to prepare for this step long before your car arrives in UK.  Contact DVLA and Customs office. When you reach the Vehicle Enquiry Unit of the DVLA at 0870.240.0010, ask them for a personal import pack. (Alternatively, write to DETR VSE1, Zone 2/01, Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1 4DR, or visit the DETR website at: Some other helpful numbers: UK Department Of Transport is 0171-271-4651, Vehicle Registration Office help line is 034-595-9755 while DVLC is at 017-977-2134. VRO Information line is 034-595-9755.

Import Pack includes:

  • the booklet 'How to Import a Vehicle Permanently into Great Britain';
  • Form V100, which explains registering and licensing procedures and gives a list of Vehicle Registration Offices; and
  • Form V55/4, which is an application form to license a vehicle in the UK for the first time.

Don't panic when you see Pack's bulk. At first glance, it seems more daunting than it really is. The most important form in the pack is the V55/5 or V55/4, this form allows you to register your car once you have imported it.

Next step is to contact Customs and Excise Office at 0171-865-3000 (or 0130-422-4372) and ask them to send you a VAT Notice 728 pack. It will include form VAT 415, 'New Means of Transport – Notification of Acquisition'.

Your VAT 728 Notice pack you received earlier takes you through what you need to do. Once paid, you'll receive a VAT certificate (C&E 386 or 388). The VAT is 17.5% of all of the following:-

  • the price paid for the vehicle (supported by Soni Motors' purchase invoice);
  • the cost of transport and insurance and any commission to the point of entry into the UK (all supported by documentary evidence, where possible); plus
  • the import duty

When converting the price paid from foreign currency into Sterling, Customs will use the rate of exchange in force at the time the documents are presented.

You will need form C104A which enables you to clear UK customs. If, however, you are importing your vehicle into UK for a temporary period, you will need to use form No. C104F.

Next, customs will ask you to complete a form C&E386 or C&E388 plus the Dept of Transport (DOT) Notice PI1 and leaflet V277 which sets out the legal requirements that you must satisfy before you register the vehicle.

Generally, you will pay VAT with your import duty at the point of importation, but in the unlikely case that you did not pay it, the Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) will forward the information to the VAT office when you go to register your vehicle. The VAT Office will send you an invoice based on the documents supplied to and you have thirty days in which to pay this invoice. Once you pay the invoice, you will receive a receipt/certificate as proof that you have paid the V.A.T. due in the United Kingdom - C&E386/388.

Enhanced SVA (Single Vehicle Approval)

Vehicles over ten years old only requires a normal MOT test certificate for registering in the UK. Vehicles under ten years old also require an Enhanced Single Vehicle Approval (ESVA) test for registering in the UK. You can make the vehicle ESVA compliant and then take it to an ESVA test center on your own or choose an ESVA vendor to do the whole process for you for a fee.

Those vehicles that were not made to European specifications (called "type approved" in ESVA lingo) or were not in personal possession of a person in a foreign country for over 6 months or were registered after 1st January 1997 are subject to ESVA. Model report or comparison report are also required.

This basically means that you cannot register your Thailand imported car or truck in UK until your vehicle has passed the ESVA test. The Enhanced Single Vehicle Approval (ESVA) covers more criteria than an SVA test, such as emissions, noise testing and fitting of suitable alarms. This test supersedes the MOT and is administered by the Vehicle Operating Services Agency (VOSA) in Swansea.  Please see the table below to compare SVA and ESVA.

Within the ESVA criteria is the requirement for a Model Report. A vast majority of Japanese and Thailand imports manufactured after 31st December 1997 can only prove their compliance through a Model Report, it is important to include one when going to ESVA test. Model Report has already been created for Hilux Vigo and other vehicles on our website, you can just rent them from the relevant owners when you for the test. ESVA test vendors have access to these reports and their price will include the use of these reports.

ESVA places emphasis on testing the following:

  • seat belt, seat belt anchorages and seat
  • protective steering
  • frontal impact
  • side impact
  • brakes and braking system including depleted test
  • sLighting ( all aspects including Fog, indicators, headlamps etc)

  • Window / Sunroof Glass

  • wiring

  • Aircon

  • noise testing
  • exhaust emissions
  • load ratings/tyre ratings
  • Speedo accuracy to MPH standard
  • Under body inspection
  • mirrors
  • weights
  • exterior body
  • doors
  • locks
  • interior
  • wiper/washers
  • radio suppression
  • anti-theft

Items checked during an SVA

Additional items for the enhanced SVA

Doors, their latches and hinges  
Radio interference suppression  
Protective steering Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative
Exhaust emissions Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative. May require independent test
Smoke emissions (diesels only)  
Rear-view mirrors  
Anti-theft devices Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative. May require independent test
Seat belts  
Seat belt anchorages Evidence of compliance with full type-approval standard or acceptable alternative
Installation of seat belts Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative
Brakes Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative
Noise and silencers Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative. May require independent test
Glass: windscreen & other windows outside  
Seats and their anchorages  
Interior fittings  
External projections  
Wiper and washer system  
Fuel input  
Design weights  
General vehicle construction  
CO2 emissions & fuel consumption (vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1997) Evidence of compliance with full type-approval standard or acceptable alternative
Front impact protection (vehicles manufactured after 1 October 2003) Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative N.B. VEHICLE CANNOT BE TESTED FOR THIS ITEM
Side impact protection (vehicles manufactured after 1 October 2003) Evidence of compliance with type-approval standard or acceptable alternative N.B. VEHICLE CANNOT BE TESTED FOR THIS ITEM

Please note that these guidelines and rules are updated regularly and what was an acceptable standard one week can be different by the next so please check.

The test is quite vigorous and if a vehicle is not up to any of the test standards it may fail and a refusal to issue a certificate will happen. The test is to much higher standards than a normal MOT type test, for instance: Speedo modification from KPH to MPH is checked on a rolling road and if the new MPH speedometer is reading only 1 Mph over on the rolling road test it is a fail.

We would highly recommend that you hire an ESVA specialist who will not only make necessary changes to your vehicles to make them ESVA-ready but also arrange a test for the vehicle. This process takes two weeks and costs up to £600.

For a list of Approved SVA dealers, please visit

All Japanese speedos operate in KPH ( Kilometers per Hour ), so it is necessary to get an accurate speedo conversion done to get Type approval. A simple Speedo face change often suffices when you remove the needle in the speedo and replace the face. Speedo facias are available to fit most Thailand imports. These can be bought in UK from £25.00 to £35.00 (inc p&p and VAT). The example on the left is from a 1995 Mitsubishi Pajero. These are relatively easy to fit. Make sure you get the right facia. A good speedo face will convert your existing KM speedo reading to MPH and will look as close to the original as possible. It must also  illuminate when used at night. Please note that they are just dial faces only, they do not convert the odometer, delimit or adjust the cruise control. For this you need speedo converters.b

Speedo converters not only allow unique speed calibration ability, but they can also remove the speed limiters and lift the cruise control restrictors on most models.  Electronic and cable driven speedos require different converters. Electronic chip conversion allows one to not only get a really accurate speedo for ESVA and of course our friends with the Radar guns etc, but also to de-limit the vehicles ECU. Electronic converters which wire into the existing wiring behind the clocks are easily available in the UK. These will convert your odometer to miles from Kilometres. Prices in UK start from £65.00 (inc p&p and VAT). Fitting Instructions are included. You would still need a speedo face change so the display reads MPH and they are able to see illumination through any sticker placed over the KPH lettering.

FOG Lamps:
A rear fog lamp is another requirement for ESVA and MOT standards in the UK. They must also have an illuminated switch on the dashboard / console area, which only operates when minimum sidelights are switched on.

If it comes on before the side lights it will fail ESVA.

The lamp must be at its lowest point a minimum of 250mm above the ground and all wiring secured and taped throughout the vehicle. Wiring should be encased in a plastic sheath and cable tied to the original wiring harness every 12 inches in line with guidelines.

There are two types of fog lights used for SVA & MOT tests: “A” is a vertical hanging fog light which is situated on the rear bumper of most vehicles. “B” is a recessed fog light, popular for inserting into the bumpers of sports vehicles. With this one the frame can be painted to match the car colour.

Petrol Filler neck restrictors:
All petrol engined vehicles registered after 1st August 1995, and most registered from 1st August 1992 require a restricted fuel filler of 26.3mm. Once they are fitted, only unleaded nozzles from the petrol pumps will fit into the filler neck. There are various types available, the screw-in type to replace the original cap are the best.

Most sports cars will come with some sort of body kit. In most the front indicator lenses will be too low, i.e under 350mm minimum height and this can cause a problem in re-sitting the position of the lense to comply!

Front Style Fenders:
There are a lot of different styles of front fender kits fitted to cars in Thailand, some of which have a large front opening to accommodate an after market front fitted intercooler. This and any other holes/vents where you can fit anything bigger than your fist will require a secure mesh grill fitted for not only ESVA standards but to protect the intercooler or radiator from stone chip damage and anyone getting there head stuck when being run over!

Big Bore Exhaust:
If your car has a big bore exhaust fitted, there is a 50% chance that it will protrude outside the rear of the car's rear fender. If this is the case you have 2 options for ESVA, either fit a metal radius to the outer edge with a minimum 2 mm radius, or shorten you exhaust as it will be deemed a sharp protrusion and result in a fail.

If your car is just falling outside the emissions standards, you may get lucky by fitting an internal plug to reduce the diameter to stop additional air being drawn which can increase your emissions readings considerably. This will also quieten it down if you have a noisy exhaust system for test purposes.

Internal Gauges / Wiring:
Some used cars have lots of after market gauges, boost controllers and gismo's fitted, sometimes not very well, so care is needed in sometimes tidying up all the wiring and securing with cable ties, as any loose wiring either on the Dashboard or under it will result in ESVA Test Failure.

Emission Tests:
In order to obtain UK registration, all vehicles must pass an emission test, either to MOT, SVA or ESVA standard. Most world markets produce compliant vehicles, but some (e.g. South Africa and the middle east) sell cars that do not meet UK emission requirements. They are not fitted with catalytic converters, and may still be set up to run on leaded fuel. Thailand made vehicles should be compliant.

Just in case the vehicle is not compliant, you can get a new catalytic converter installed into the original exhaust, where the vendor may need to carry out the necessary modifications to the engine control system to allow the converter to operate correctly.

Some converters fit directly to the downpipe flange, even on turbocharged cars, and allow a massive reduction in emissions on the warm up cycle on the ESVA test. They do not restrict gas flow, and can withstand the great temperatures generated without significant performance loss.

Technical Standards

Type Approval Requirement Vehicle Age *
Seat belt anchorages 1st July 1991**
Protective steering 1st July 1991 **
Noise and silencers 1st January 1991
Exhaust emissions 1st January 1993
Brakes 1st April 1995
Seat belts- installation 1st July 1997**
CO2/ fuel consumption 1st January 1997**
Anti-theft device 1st October 1998**
Front and side impact protection 1st October 2003**

Note: * The requirements of the relevant Directives applies to vehicles manufactured from this date.
** These requirements are not applicable to goods vehicles

Demonstrating Compliance

For a given vehicle, the method of confirming that it meets the requirements will vary according to the country of origin, the market that it was intended for and the age of the vehicle. Compliance with the enhanced standards may be demonstrated by one of the following methods:

  1. Showing that European Approval Standards are met (Directive Compliance)
  2. Showing that comparable non-European standards are met. (Comparable Standards)
  3. A comparison check with a known type approved vehicle (Comparison Test)
  4. Physically having a test conducted to the appropriate Directive standard (Directive Test)
  5. The use of a Model Report (compiled from data obtained from 3 and/or 4 above). This is a check that vehicle is of the same specification as one that is known to meet the standards. (Model Report) Note - If a Model Report is available for your vehicle the use of this option is likely to cost less than the tests at items 3/4.

Model Report

A Model Report is used when an applicant wishes to prove compliance on a subsequent vehicle on the basis of a Directive or Comparison Test or series of tests conducted previously on a "master" vehicle (or vehicles).

The purpose of the Model Report is to enable a VOSA examiner to check that the specification of subsequent vehicles are the same in all relevant respects to the one originally tested at the authorised test laboratory. It will include component descriptions, code numbers and other identifying features, supplemented by photographs or drawings.

Some companies have produced Model Reports and offer them for use to members of the public and other companies for a fee. Information on the model reports available is on the VOSA web site "", click on "Car and LGV owners", then "Importing and building vehicles" and on the list "model reports available".

If the vehicle is listed, a model report is available for one or more of the subjects requiring compliance. This report could be used to demonstrate compliance. The report owner should be contacted for further information. It is important to ensure that your vehicle is of the same specification as that given in the report.

If the vehicle presented for test matches the specification in the Model Report, it will pass, and if it does not it will fail and further modifications or alternative evidence of compliance will be necessary.

ESVA Vendors

If you are in London area, you cannot go wrong with Romford MOT Center.  They are in outskirts of London to the North adjacent to M-25. It is a family run and family-operated business just like Soni Motors. Emmersons have been running this business for the past 25 years from this same site. The business is run by Mr. and Mrs. Barry Emmerson and their son. They have an impressive database of some 17,000 satisfied customers and counting. Their  business is split into bodyshop, mechanical repair, MOT testing, air conditioning, BMW bodystyling and SVA testing.

The property in Romford, Essex comprises of one single unit of a whopping 14000 sq ft with customer parking for 70 vehicles, just their customer seated reception area is of 1000 sq ft. We employ 20 members of staff.

They can handle all phases of SVA and ESVA preparation from collection at the port to handover of the vehicle to the owner. They are similar to Soni Motors in another way, their record of customer satisfaction and retention is matchless in SVA industry. Mr. Barry Emmerson has consistently endeavoured to inculcate his belief among his employees that RMC's service should be second to none in the automotive industry.

The cost of a SVA test, preparation, and registration is between £500 and £600 depending on the vehicle, this excludes the model report which as you know varies from vehicle to vehicle. Model report for Thailand model Hilux is £300 exclusive of VAT.

Their address is: Romford Mot Centre, 101 Hainault Road, Romford, Essex. RM5 3EY. Please feel free to contact Barry at sales@ROMFORDMOT.CO.UK and tell him that Soni Motors send you. Visit their website at for more info. Their contact number is 01708 725-448.

If you are in Bristol area, we would recommend Bristol Motor Services ( BMS is a leading SVA preparation, conversion and ESVA development company in the UK. They can fully convert and test any vehicle to full SVA specification. They have model reports on Hilux Vigo and most Thailand made vehicles.

The good news for top-of-the-line Vigo importers is that BMS  now have the report live for the Toyota Vigo 3000 double cab manual and auto and manual extra cab

They are also able to arrange the shipping, customs clearance and transport of your vehicles to the UK via Royal Portbury Dock. From there, they can fully prepare the vehicle from the ESVA / SVA and MOT tests, servicing, body cosmetics, valeting, to the final registration process. They are located in Avonmouth, 8 miles from Bristol.

Registration of Vehicle

When all duty and tax has been paid at importation, Customs will give you:

  • a Customs clearance Form C&E 386 or C&E 388; and
  • the appropriate Department of Transport(DfT) P1 notice and SVA leaflet which set out the legal requirements which you must satisfy before you register the vehicle.

You must go without delay to the nearest Local Office (LO) of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to get your vehicle registered and licensed. Take along the clearance form Customs gave you as the LO may ask you for it. Please note - the only circumstances in which you can drive your vehicle before these formalities are completed is to and from a pre-arranged SVA/MoT test. You will find contact numbers in your phone book under 'Driving and Vehicles'.

You have to pay a fee of £50 on the first registration and licensing of a motor vehicle in the UK. The fee is designed to cover the administrative costs associated with registration of the vehicle throughout its life. The fee is applicable to all vehicles except those first registered and licensed in the 'Disabled Exempt' taxation class.

Take the following to your local Vehicle Registration Office to register the car, have a registration number assigned and to legally be able to fit number plates to the car.

  • Completed DVLA Form V55/4 for new or V55/5 for used vehicle from your Import Pack.
  • Declaration of Newness if vehicle is new
  • VAT Declaration.
  • New Means of Transport – Notification of Acquisition'
  • C&E 386 given to you by Customs & Excise
  • Soni Motor's sales invoice
  • Original Thailand's deregistration document for a used car
  • Shipping documents
  • UK insurance certificate based on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) issued by a member of the UK Motor Insurers Bureau (See below for more info)
  • Evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier)
  • ESVA Test certification
  • British MOT test certificate (if applicable)
  • £38 for first registration

  • Documentation confirming your name and address
  • License fee
  • Check for Road Tax

On payment of first registration fee, and either six months' or twelve months' VED, the VRO will issue you a registration number (number plate number) and a VED tax disc. The date of first registration will now be the date the car was first registered in the UK, provided this is within 14 days of the purchase date, or within 30 days of the purchase date if this immediately precedes a registration letter change. DVLA will send your V5 registration document within four weeks. In the unlikely circumstance that you have not paid your VAT, the VRO will send form NMT – Notification of Acquisition – on to Customs & Excise, who will then send you invoice VAT 413 for UK VAT at 17.5% which you have 30 days to settle. Once settled, you will receive a receipted VAT 413.

Order a set of plates or get one made at a local car spares shop. Phone the manufacturer's customer helpline to put the car on the manufacturer's UK data bank for warranty purposes and in case of any recalls.


The next step is to get your gleaming Thailand-made pride and joy insured, generally you can insure off the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on the phone while you wait for the DVLC to catch up and assign you a number and send you your V5 document. Note however that if you are putting a private plate which is held on a retention certificate with you, you already know the information to give your insurers. Quotes vary widely so shop around for the best possible rate.

Some insurers are reluctant to insure younger drivers under 25 years, but keep trying and you will find one which will offer good prices  if you shop around.

Any import (especially performance cars) will require at least a Thatcham Category 1 full alarm system as a minimum and some like Direct Line & Tesco who use the same underwriters will also stipulate a Tracker system to be fitted, but this is not necessary with most other companies.

As part of our commitment to customer service, we have pleasure in listing below a selection of Insurers who will provide you with the best quotation for your Thailand Imported car, without penalising the premium.

Insurance Companies:
The companies highlighted Bold, are the first ones to call for the most competitive prices.

Company Name Contact number
TESCO INSURANCE Company 0845 300 4400
AON LTD 4 x 4 Policy 0870 0777888
PRIVILEGE Insurance Company 01132 439988
D & S Osborne 0208 641 2016
Q & S ( Over 25 years old only ) 0208 388 6000
Perimeter Insurance 01323 848020
Performance Direct 01708 716118
Keith Michaels 0208 288 0677
Crowthorne Insurance 01344 771626
Bell Direct ( Jason Compton ) 0800 140180
Touchline Insurance Company 0800 207800
Lifesure 01480 474604
Haden Welbeck Group 01322 444933
OSBORNE & SONS 0208 388 6000
Liverpool Victoria 0870-242405
Tett Hamilton 01275 792270
Warwick Davies 0800-9707474
Adrian Flux 08700-777888
A-Plan 0845-0711234

Please note, to obtain the best quote, you should mention Soni Motors Thailand, and state that the car purchased is a direct Thailand Import. We don't get any commission from any of these agencies and provision of this information is to help you. If you find another agency that gives you a better deal, please give us their contact information and we would be glad to add them to our list.

Total Costs

Here is a breakdown of total costs:-

  • Cost of Vehicle

  • Registration/Deregistration Fee: £150

  • Soni Motor's Service Fee: £200

  • Telegraphic Transfer (TT) Fees and Bank charges on both ends

  • Shipping Costs

  • Customs Duty and Charges

  • VAT

  • ESVA (and MOT) compliance fees to ESVA vendor

  • Registration & Insurance

Some UK Link Friends


The Soni Group of Companies or its subsidiary companies shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the usage of any information obtained from this web site. Companies referred to in this web site shall not be construed as agents nor as companies recommended by Soni Motors Thailand or the Soni Group or any of its subsidiaries.

© 2001-2018 :: Soni Motors Thailand - a division of the Soni Group :: All rights reserved ::

According to Statcounter, you are the  -th visitor to our site.